- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed under running water
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 bunch Kale, stems removed and leaves chopped
- ½ small red onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup large, unsweetened coconut flakes
Tropical Cilantro-Cashew Pesto
- 2 cups cilantro, packed
- ½ cup cashews
- 4 cloves garlic
- ½ cup olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ½ lime, juiced (or more, to taste)
- Pinch red pepper flakes, optional
In a medium saucepan, combine 1 cup coconut milk and one cup of water and bring to the boil. Add the quinoa, cover and simmer for 15 to 17 minutes, until the water is absorbed. Remove from heat, fluff with a fork and mix in the red onion.
Make the pesto: combine cilantro, cashews and garlic in a food processor. Start processing the mixture, and slowly drizzle in the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, lime juice and red pepper flakes, all to taste, and blend well.
In a medium serving bowl, combine the warm coconut quinoa, chopped kale and pesto. Mix well with a big spoon and season with salt and pepper if necessary.
In a skillet over medium heat, toast the coconut flakes for a few minutes until golden and fragrant, stirring often. Top the salad with coconut flakes and serve warm.
Recipe: Cookie and Kate