French Lentil Salad
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 celery stick, finely sliced
- 1 cup French green lentils, rinsed
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup torn herbs, such as parsley, basil and/or mint
In a medium saucepan, heat 1 Tbsp oil over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and celery, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 6 minutes. Add lentils and cover with 2 inches water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until lentils are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and season with salt and pepper. Let cool.
In a medium bowl, whisk together remaining oil, lemon juice and pepper flakes. Season with salt. Add lentils, cabbage and herbs and toss to combine. Add lentils to greens like arugula or a spring mix.
Recipe from Martha Stewart