- 1 cup green lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 ½ cups reduced sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 medium leek, well rinsed, trimmed, and chopped
- 2 cups chopped Swiss chard leaves, loosely packed
- Olive oil
- 1 large sweet apple (such as Fuji), peeled, cored, and diced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Meanwhile, lightly coat a medium skillet with olive oil and place over medium-high heat. Add the apple and sauté for about 3-4 minutes, stirring often, until the apple is golden on all sides.
Remove the bay leaf from the lentil mixture and stir in the apple. For a smoother soup, let the apple cool slightly and puree it in a blender, then combine it with the soup. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Recipe: The New American Plate Cookbook